As beautiful as these adornments can be to your patio, lawn or backyard, outdoor furniture takes quite a bit of punishment from elements such as sun, wind, rain, etc. It is also subject to normal wear and tear. This is why it is always a good idea to have a plan to protect your outdoor furnishings. So, as we slowly move through summer and people are gathering outdoors more often for parties and the like, we would like to suggest these tips to help you protect your outdoor furniture.
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions: Not only will following the manufacture’s care instruction help you protect your furniture and extend its life, it will also help you to avoid voiding any warranty that came with it.
- Choose your furniture wisely: Choose furniture made of materials that can withstand the sun’s UV rays and/or that can withstand the rain. Buy cushions that won’t easily fade in the direct sunlight.
- Use awnings and patio covers: The sun causes even the highest quality outdoor furniture to fade over time. Solid patio covers and awnings can help protect your furniture from the damaging effects of the sun. Our patio covers in Roseville block the sun’s UV rays and add value and beauty to your home. Our lattice pergolas add a touch of elegance to your home as well.
- Clean your furniture often: Sweep off chairs, sofa etc the moment debris begins to collect on them. Use a soft-bristle brush and warm water so as not to damage these items.
- Use gentle cleansers: Regardless of what material your furnishings are made from, use mild cleansers such as dishwashing liquid to clean them. You may also wish to invest in a lint-free cloth to wipe off upholstery. Chlorine bleach, pine oil, or abrasive cleansers, unless directed by the manufacturer, should never be used on your furniture.
- Use material specific care: Different materials can require different handling. Wicker furniture, for example, should be cleaned periodically with mild soap and water in order to extend its life. Aluminum furnishings are more durable than wicker but can be damaged by abrasive cleansers.
Finally, mold, mildew and pests are also enemies of outdoor furnishings. The key is to maintain a regular cleaning schedule. You may also wish to establish care rules for guests and family members who will be using your furniture. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
One of the fun things about having a patio is deciding how to decorate it. Home and garden retailers know this which is why they present consumers with so many options for doing so. Retailers also know that people are now coming out of their dens, so to speak, and beginning to hold outdoor gatherings on their patios. But which items make a perfect outdoor oasis? Here are our top summer patio must-have items to take your summer to the next level.
- Grill or Firepit: Summer and grilling are an inseparable combination. Every patio needs a grill for outdoor cooking whether for parties or for the family in general. Some people take grills even further by installing an outdoor firepit in their yard. The great thing about firepits is that they come in a variety of styles and prices.
- Seating: Where are all your guests going to sit when they visit you during one of your awesome outdoor parties? It is essential to have good all-weather patio furniture that is easy to clean and above all else comfortable.
- Outdoor sound system: What is a party without music? Even if you don’t plan to entertain much on your patio, a sound system can be an excellent addition. Some of our awnings come with built in speakers that can give you music on demand as you recline outdoors.
- Lighting: Outdoor lights are great at increasing your sense of security and for creating ambiance. The other great thing about outdoor lights is that you can find them at most hardware or home improvement stores. They come in a variety of colors and configurations giving you the freedom to be creative.
- Patio covers: Of course you’ll need protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays as well as from sudden summer storms. Our Duralum patio covers provide protection from both. Our patio covers in Roseville are functional, easy to maintain and highly durable. They allow you to continue entertaining during those sudden, pop-up summer storms.
There you have it. Those are just a few of the essentials you will need to get your summer off to the right start. Your patio can easily be the centerpiece of your home and a thing to envy among your neighbors and friends. Try one of our awnings or pergolas to further add to the beauty and splendor of your home this summer.
Indoor air conditioning is great but sometimes you want to stay cool while you are outside relaxing on your patio. So, what are some ways you can cool off while relaxing outside under the warm summer sun with friends and family? We’ve got some simple ways you can keep you cool, even on summer’s hottest days.
- Add a Pergola: Pergolas not only give much needed shade to your patio, they also add value to your home. Moreover, you can also hang potted plants from them to give your patio even more charm.
- Install a patio privacy wall: Patio privacy walls are structures that can not only give your patio greater privacy as the name implies, they can also give you a wider area of shade while you are entertaining with family and friends. Moreover, you can have them custom designed to suit your taste.
- Add a Patio Bar: If you are going to be doing any kind of entertaining on your patio this summer then a patio bar may be just what you need. For a relatively small cash outlay, you can add a little Tiki bar to your patio and a cooler. Here you can store cold, refreshing drinks for your guests while you lounge around in the shade provided by your custom patio awnings in Sacramento.
- Lay off the alcohol: Alcohol is a vasodilator which means that it causes the blood vessels to widen. This causes your body to heat up and makes you more uncomfortable on hot summer days. Moreover, excessive alcohol consumption makes you have to urinate more often which leads to dehydration.
- Change your lighting fixtures: Incandescent and halogen lights are huge heat emitters. They also eat up a ton of electricity. Try replacing the lighting on your patio with CFL or LED light which are economically sound, environmentally friendlier and produce less heat.
- Dress for the heat: Wear lighter colors to reflect sunlight and breathable fabrics such as cotton, silk and linen. Finally, wear sleeveless tops or blouses to allow your body to cool itself naturally.
Last summer was very hot. Record highs were reached all around the country as most people’s discomfort level went through the roof. Try the techniques above and use patio covers in Roseville to make this summer more tolerable than last year’s.
Food, décor, warm weather and good friends: These are the main elements of a relaxing pool party. But just how do you put them all together to make a truly memorable gathering? After all, parties don’t just plan themselves. They take time and at least some effort. And since we are early in this season of morning and afternoon brunches and late evening soirees, we are taking this time to give you some tips on how you can enjoy yourself under our custom awning covers in Sacramento. Let’s get the party planning started.
- Send invites early: Never assume that everyone you wish to have attend your party will be free. Be sure to send out your invitations early enough to give your guests time to add your gathering into their plans. You will also want to have enough time to plan the logistics of your party.
- Use adequate lighting: If you are planning a late afternoon gathering on some warm spring or summer night don’t let the setting sun kill the party. Add landscape lighting to your celebrations. Pathways, staircases and pool sides are excellent places to light up the night by adding to the ambiance of your party. It also makes the gathering extra safe.
· Have sufficient shelter: Make sure that the odd shower or high winds do not make your party fold up earlier than you wish for it to. Our elegant and practical patio covers in Roseville, will impress your guests with their beauty while sheltering them from the elements.
· Get it catered: Depending on the size of your gathering you may wish hire a caterer. This will free you up to manage other aspects of your party.
- Keep mosquitoes at bay: In the weeks leading up to your party makes plans to reduce the presence of mosquitoes and other flying insects. Empty standing water and buy citronella candles to control the mosquitoes around your home.
- Provide the tunes: The right music can make or break a party. Make sure that you provide a reliable source of music for your guests to enjoy. Some of our patios have 2 Polk flush-mount speakers installed right into the beam. These are Bluetooth enabled.
Finally, few things are as relaxing in the summer and spring as outdoor parties. Just make sure that you follow these tips so that you can plan and enjoy the best parties of the season!
It’s just plain common sense. A well-maintained awning lasts longer than one that has been neglected. Moreover, awnings are an investment like any other. The key to enjoying our aluminum awnings in Sacramento is in knowing that you are getting the maximum use out of them. That means thinking of them as a long term addition to your home. That means considering them for their ability to increase the curb appeal of your property. However, this is likelier when you take the proper steps to maintain and care for your awnings. Here are a few of our suggestions for keeping your awning in tip top shape for years to come.
- Inspect the awning: Develop the habit of inspecting your awning on a semi-regular basis. Look for damage such as warping particularly after harsh weather events. Also, be sure to check the hardware as well.
- Clean your awning: While our aluminum awnings require relatively little maintenance, it is a good idea to clean them from time to time. When you do clean them use soapy water and a soft-bristled brush or cloth rag. If mildew should develop use a mild bleach solution in conjunction with a pressure washer.
- Use the right cleaning agents: As we said, aluminum awnings do not require as much maintenance as fabric awnings. However, you should always opt on the side of caution when using solvents to clean your aluminum awning. You do not want to damage the finish by using harsh chemicals.
- Prepare to repaint old aluminum awnings: If you are considering painting your older awning, then consider using tarps to cover the ground and steps and newspaper to cover areas of the house.
- Trim tree limbs surrounding your awning: Trees can not only deposit organic debris onto your awning, they can also scratch and otherwise damage the finish on your awning. (This usually happens when the wind becomes strong.)
In short, our aluminum awnings are tougher than traditional canvas awnings. That fact, added with the proper care, will make them last for many years as they only serve to beautify your business and increase your property’s value. Our awnings and patio cover in Sacramento are built for people who appreciate their beauty and functionality and who appreciate the investment they have made in their homes.
As our population grows denser nothing stands out more in the modern world than the creeping lack of privacy that comes along with this explosion. Sure, we are all social beings but there are times when we must all escape and make an oasis of our personal spaces. To do this, many of us erect fences and then find those fences totally lacking in their ability to hold back the outside world. For this purpose, many of our customers buy our privacy walls in addition to our custom awning covers in Sacramento. However, we can often ignore the aesthetic quality of this essential patio addition. So that you can make sure your privacy wall is both functional and aesthetically pleasing, here are some of our suggestions.
- Create a vertical garden: Indoor verticals gardens are all the rage but don’t forget that they can be useful outdoor as well. Hang potted plants along your privacy wall to beautify your garden further while remaining secluded from the rest of the world.
- Attach shelves: Attach shelves to your privacy wall as a temporary holding place for your garden tools. This way you will be increasing the functionality of your fence.
- Affix to it artwork: Why not bring affixed colorful artwork to your privacy wall? You can use drawings or washable chalk to create all kinds of outdoor themes.
- Attach a blackboard: If you have small children consider attaching a blackboard to your privacy wall and encouraging them to create their own artwork there.
- Signage: Post to your wall a message that is unique and has attached to it a special meaning. Use whimsical fonts to brighten up this space.
- Affix to it white curtains: Give your wall an elegant, flowing look by attaching to it lace curtains.
- Attach it to other structure around your patio: Attach your privacy screen to existing fences, pergolas, or other structured in order to extend your privacy.
In short, privacy fences don’t have to be drab. They can be as decorative and fashionable as they are practical. After all, they are still a part of our businesses and homes. Our Durawood patio cover in Sacramento is also practical and functional in that it provides both shade and protection from the elements.
Awnings and patio covers provide shade, outdoor entertaining and dining spaces. They can even reduce energy bills by cooling off your indoor living spaces. For these reasons, many people find it difficult to decide which patio cover or awning to select. So that you end up choosing an awning or patio cover that you will be proud of, we recommend that you make the following considerations before making a final decision:
- Material: Here you will want to consider factors like look, level of customization and durability. Among durable kinds of material to use for awnings is aluminum which is also easy to maintain. Our solid aluminum patio covers in Sacramento can last for many years with the proper care and maintenance. This is also true of our lattice pergolas. Fabric awnings require a bit more maintenance than do aluminum
- Angle: This characteristic is often overlooked by people who are shopping for an awning. However angle does affect overall performance of an awning. For example, it is recommended that east and west facing windows have awnings that have a 65% -75% drop. For south-facing windows, the drop should be around 45% – 60% or less due to the angle of the sun.
- Color: Light colored awnings are more energy efficient than darker colored ones. This is because, as we all know, light colors reflect or redirect heat and darker colors absorb it.
- Pattern: Which pattern you chose depends on the size or the structure you are attaching your awning to.
- Style: Style is a completely personal choice. We have a wide variety of styles that vary from the simple to the ornate. Our cut styles include Scallop, Corbel, Miter and Bevel.
- Size: Naturally, the size of the awning will depend upon how much space you have available and the size of the structure you will attach it to. In general, small awnings look excellent as purely decorative pieces while larger awnings provide greater coverage for outdoor spaces.
In short, choose the awning or patio cover that you will buy by making the above considerations. This will guarantee that you will have an awning or patio cover that you will be proud to own for years to come and that will be just right for you.