Has your aluminum awning lost its shine? Are you anxious to restore it to its former brilliance? Well, if you are tired of tolerating a tarnished awning that only takes away from the beauty of your home, we have good news. You can restore aluminum that has lost its glow using a number of DIY cleaning solutions. They are all easy to prepare and relatively inexpensive. Here are just a few:
- Vinegar or cream of tartar and water: Use this mixture in order to restore discolored aluminum. Add a tablespoon of vinegar to every quart of water used. (You can increase the concentration of cream of tartar or vinegar depending on how discolored the aluminum is.)
- Several slices of lemon, water, and vinegar: The advantage to this recipe is that all of these items are readily available in most households. Mix 4 cups of water and 1 cup of vinegar in a container or spray bottle. Rub the lemon on the surface of the aluminum and then use the solution for a rinse.
- Mild dish liquid and water: For oil that has built up on aluminum, a degreaser is necessary. Mix the two together in order to remove mild stains.
- Soap flakes, vinegar, baking soda and cream of tartar: Mix ¼ cup of flakes, ½ cup of vinegar, ½ cup of baking soda, ½ cup cream of tartar. Blend the solution into a paste. Apply this paste to the surface of the aluminum item with steel wool. Then rinse.
- Laundry detergent and bleach: You will need this stronger solution if there is mildew or mold present.
Things to Remember when Cleaning Aluminum
It is important to also employ the right techniques when cleaning aluminum to optimize each cleaning. First, remember to clear the area of all things that may be damaged by whatever solution you use. With the exception of bleach, the above solutions are relatively mild, but take all necessary precautions. Next, clean from the top to the bottom to avoid cleaning the same spot over and over again. Finally, ask for help if needed.
In conclusion, the most important thing to remember is that although our aluminum patio awnings in Sacramento are very versatile and durable, they are not invulnerable. Clean your aluminum awnings regularly with one of the DIY solutions listed above or with store bought cleaner to prevent the buildup of tarnish, dirt, grime etc. These techniques also work on our aluminum trellis in Sacramento.